Tuesday, November 20, 2012

{Review} Not Just a Hearer but a Doer by Yoland Shanks

Tell Me About it Tuesday is back!  Today's installment is a book review.  Not Just a Hearer but a Doer by Yolanda Shanks. 


I am not sure I was in the right place to review this book.  I have been trying to be more intentional about many things in my life.  My faith is a big one.  I don't want to just go through the motions, that is why I picked this book when I saw it listed for review on Christian Women Affiliates.  It just so happened that I received this book and another 2 days apart in the middle of a reading heavy bible study. 

I dove in determined to get everything done on time, I made a commitment.  Not sure if it God or the enemy, but my plans did not line up with what was going on in my life. 

What does any of this have to do with this devotional?  Well, I was looking forward to reviewing this because it was a devotional.  I hear so many of my Christian friends talk about devotionals, I had just never picked one up.  The idea is that you read the passage for the day and reflect on it.  I guess it is easiest if you are able to read your devotional in the morning because then you can think about it throughout the day.  It didn't work for me.  It actually made me feel even more distant than I was already feeling. 

"We sit in the pews.  We sing the songs.  We recite scripture-scripture we know by heart.  And yet buried in the midst of this routine are commands and requests straight from the Most High that go ignored.  We've become so reliant on God fulfilling His end of the bargain that we fail to follow through with ours."

Each day has a layout of an introduction, then background, then interpretation followed by application.  Some have additional scriptures you can memorize.  The scriptures are taken from the Kings James Version of the Bible.  While I was reading the devotional I had to stop several times to look up the passages in another bible so I could just understand what was being said. 

I think the layout of the book works well.  This book needs to be treated more like a bible study.  You have to put time in with this book.  You will be able to just read it and be able to apply it.  You have to think on it and meditate on it.  I still think if you want to get more from your faith and want to give more to God this would be a good book to work through.

Connect with Yolanda Shanks:
Through her website
On Twitter
and on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Let us know what you think of what we are posting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis